Social Intranet

@almereyda Yes, it would be great to collaborate and get an enlarged team in the collective. Ecobytes exists since 12 years as an informal tech collective which has provided solidary hosting and development for artists and political groups (several Indymedia sites, activist networks, bewelcome, several environmental NGOs, …). In the last 4 years it has been kind of struggling for survival (one of the founders became too involved in its activism in Canada, the other is travelling around the world and developing bewelcome), but at the end of last year we reinforced the team with new sysadmins and created an association (e.V.) to be able to provide a service asked by many groups, movements and individuals - non-commercial, non-transatlantic, added security through for example encrypted systems, transparent, democratic, whatever. - while providing a platform for cooperative/collaborative work of politically motivated hackers. As I told you, we rent high performance bare metal from Hetzner (currently 4 dedicated servers) and put debian systems with virtualization and encryption on top of them. I think it would be important to reinforce the team on the web services side and provide a viable alternative to riseup.net in Europe.

Regarding collaboration/project management tools, as you know, I’m more fond of a centralized place, but not necessarily of a single tool (the whole idea of co-munity is based precisely on this). I think what you have at allmende.io is a nice collection of great tools, but without a proper interlinkage of them very hard to follow by most people. As for Trello, although I find it a nice tool for sorting out tasks in a todo-style (unfortunately not open source! there also an OS alternative which is worth a try - kanban), I think it is very confusing for discussions and dates (events or project planning), or even to serve as a communication hub. People that never used Trello before might even find it more difficult. But lets see how the dynamic develops - breaking running processes and imposing another tool would probably work just worse, so I think your strategy of offering diversity - and a very simple tool like the mailing list! - is appropriate.

Back to Ecobytes: what would exactly be the immediate you have on this? a vserver as sandbox for starting setting up/trying the different tools? And how do you see a longer term cooperation/development taking place?

1 „Gefällt mir“