Opening the circle of maintainers and publics

I have been lurking around the edges of allmende and ecobytes for some years now. Multiple shared connections kept me stumbling into digital spaces where Ecobytes & Allmende were active.

I’m aligned with the idea for a digital commons but have found it difficult to become more engaged. As a non-coder the use of git creates a barrier for engagement, and the €60 fee to join Ecobytes was a bit of a hurdle when at the time I wasn’t sure which tools I would use and what for. Neither of these are insurmountable for me - but if I look back at whats happened I think this is what has held back my engagement.

Now I stand in a place where I’m involved in multiple projects building commons for which access to the tools of allmemde would be most useful and no doubt the correct thing to do - rather than these projects adopting the silo tools that most people know and default to using.

I am happy to think of allmende.io as a digital commons of which I am a part (thanks for the access to Next Cloud for SoilHack :smiley:) But how I will engage and help steward our commons is currently somewhat unclear.

I can certainly guide more like minded individuals towards allmende.io - as @yova suggests a clearer pathway for people to become allmende.io commoners would be valuable. As a native English speaker, and a non-coder, maybe I could help to make on-boarding easier for people less technically inclined? (This is what I offered Ecobytes - but at that time got confused/tripped by git and my inability to engage in the organisation workflows.)

Looking at the communities building quickly around disroot.org and social.coop, I wonder if there is stuff that we can learn about building a user base - where people can get quick and cheap/free access to the tools they need, while also being guided into an active commons, where they can easily be involved in its governance and find easy ways to help with its stewardship. After people start to use the services and come to value them and the advantages of being commoners, I would hope they would be more likely to lend support in maintaining their commons.

My practical experiences in this area would suggest that there would be many more people who like and theoretically support the ideas, and even use the services than who will actively engage in the stewardship of the commons. I guess the art is in making easy pathways, and even encouragements, for people to lend this support - be that support through paying a fee for access to some services (a sliding scale + can be free on request like social.coop do?) or easy ways to become involved in governance, development, maintenance, outreach, etc. etc.

I’m excited by the prospects and happy to be involved.

2 „Gefällt mir“