Root server sharing under supervision of Ecobytes?

Hello Everyone, I’m new to that platform, actually it’s my first post. I tried catch the discussion…

Seems like the machine’s specifications is not clear yet:

If you can provide me information for:

CPU: How many? Ram: How many GB/MB? HDD: How many GB? OS: Which one? and SSH-Key for root privileged user account on VM

then i key finish as soon as possible, i can deal with this today.

ciao.

1 „Gefällt mir“

Hi @asdx, we’re discussing with the several partners how to arrange a shared, say cooperative use of a root server would work. It is currently not about adding new VMs to the Ecobytes infrastructure. I’m following up later with more details, as @auli from OuiShare also contacted me.

hi all,

from OuiShare side i mapped our needs shortly (and we’re looking for a solution to start moving sites asap):

Mails:

• higher-traffic mail system for ouishare.net (100+ active mailboxes +, newsletters to 8-10000 ppl) + some additional low traffic domains.

Web hosting:

• 4+ WP farms (and increasing)
  • 2+ Rails sites (+ their test versions)
  • additional apps for use and testing (Known, Drupal, …)
  • offer hosting to new community/project sites

Backup

• of everything :slight_smile:

Possibly:

• OwnCloud / document management & collaborative writing app / file repository for presentations and documents

More details in this doc

On finance side, OuiShare needs bills to be able to pay; also the question is: how much?

++ From management side: we’d need to be able to manage and create new minisites and domain vaults quite easily (docker? + some c-panel/plesk kind of interface), as well as e-mails. I would be the first to do that, but it should be feasible for an even less techie person.

1 „Gefällt mir“
This post is intentionally a wiki post. Use the power.

Dear @auli, @ArneBo, @aporia @gualter, @asdx and @elfpavlik .

As OuiShare need quick solutions and Ecobasa have about two months to converge plus Edgeryders and unMonastery kind of agreed already, we can already lay out the framework of our cooperation. Fortunately, Ecobytes is offering very flexible services in this case.

Needs

The needs of the different organizations that I can overview are presented seperately below.

TransforLab

further for TransforMap

• Ethermap
  • uMap
  • OSM Tasking Manager
  • GeoCouch

plus several smaller services like the Taxonomy Editor.

OuiShare

possibly

• OwnCloud
  • Etherpad
  • Mailing Lists?
    • Discourse
    • GroupServer
    • Sympa
    • Mailman
  • Multiple environments
    • PHP (WordPress, MediaWiki, drupal)
    • Ruby

Edgeryders

• Testdrives
  • Possible migration when neccessary

unMonastery

• Blogs Ghost
  • Websites Node
  • Mail

Current State

We are actively working on deploying additional VMs and get new mail services running. Internal networking and hardening are still a bit at stakes, but progressing well.

With the additional IPs that have been acquired for TransforMap, we will soon be able to offer GroupServer Web Mailing Lists, GitLab for private repositories of version controlled files and Dokku Alternative for a flexible PaaS/IaaS hybrid hosting, which will allow us to serve virtually every hosting need. See their websites for details.

If that works out nicely, we’re only close to offering a wide range of excellent stuff like

• Loomio
  • Discourse
  • GitLab
  • Sentry
  • Uptime
  • Taiga
  • CI ( Travis, GitLab CI, Jenkins )
  • Huginn or
  • Bip.io and

which will only be the first services to come. If we can quickly spin up complex infrastructures, our social resilience increases exponentially (t.b.p.).

Actually it makes sense for Ecobytes to rent a new root server for the new guests, as some legacy services are still going to be migrated to the already existing hosts. Finally we need to apply IPv4 subnets to the hypervisors instead of individual IPs, so supporting partners can receive reliably seperated environments.

An example calculation can be found in an Etherpad.
But of course we can also just go on updating the existing infrastructure constantly.

Outreach

The infrastructure can be further scaled on a roadmap similiar to Panamax + IndieHosters > OpenStack + OpenShift > Mesosphere.

@gualter Can we acquire the last additional IPv4 address of the respective machine for the d:space experiment now, so it doesn’t need to wait until we figure out more complicated internal routes?

Conforming with the Etherpad, we’re also trying to get in touch with

to find out if they would be willing to further extend the network of independently and fair hosted IT services. I am inviting some of them as marked above using the button below.

If we get this running, I can transfer two currently external VMs to that setup and provide another ~100 € from my private funds in the name of allmende.io to the pool.

Then we could also start thinking of using geographically spread locations for quick worldwide reachability, esp. if we imagine of scaling up to organizations like Shareable, i.e. by providing mapping services, and so forth.

Hi Everyone, Pleased to take part on the conversation. Just to express my opinion on this briefly: I would like to join with http://open-steps.org (currently hosted on 1and1):

In terms of requirements:

• Mails: Currently 4 adresses are used. Potentially more to come
  • Application: PLP Editor + PLP Browser (html) & PLP Directory (node) & PLP Provider (node)

Of course, i would need some numbers. But if ii stays affordable i would like to be part of this great network.

Keep in touch.

Alex

I moved 4 posts to a new topic: Joint Drupal Hosting Community

Hi @elfpavlik, bimea.com would also be interested in sharing this machine!

-Jeff

One more thing regarding the whole discussion. IMHO, the questions should not be “root server sharing under supervision of Ecobytes” but rather “getting the needed infrastructure/platform/services by joining efforts with Ecobytes”.

In particular, the different needs of the collectives that have joined this discussion are probably better acommodated if we think of them as part of the whole Ecobytes ecosystem (well, the new machines only). A further server should be ordered if there is need in terms of load. Two further servers as well. But it’s important to remain flexible, allowing for increased synergy, sharing/optimization of (people/money) resources, as well as allowing for much better load balancing across servers.

UPDATE: That said, if you prefer to own an own server, nothing to oppose to it :slight_smile:

As this discussion moves to a stable point and OuiShare needs an answer soon, I propose that we go with the following community memberships and scale the Ecobytes infrastructure when needed.

Please indicate, if you need Mail hosting as it is its own topic with different requirements (Self managed on an own server and IP? / managed by the Ecobytes collective? / …).
Also the need for seperate IPs and Control Panels, often changing domains, etc. should be mentionned beforehand, so we can lay out appropriate services.

Current State

• Donative Membership from Edgeryders @elfpavlik
    • drupal testdrives in PaaS if it makes sense to migrate to community owned self dogfooding at Ecobytes.
  • VM / PaaS for unMonastery @aporia
  • VM for a Sharetribe instance, right? @bezdomny
  • VM / PaaS / Mail for Open Steps @a_corbi
  • IndieHosters VM + IaaS / PaaS for OuiShare @auli
    • They also have Mail needs for applications and users.
    • Self hosted doesn’t yet sound too convincing to them. Therefore they intend to use what they pay for at Webfaction, where their Rails sites run.
    • Mailgun and Mandrill offer even more sophisticated integrations.
    • In terms of self dogfooding, Ecobytes invites every organization to challenge its infrastructure with their needs, so we can scale it to meet their requirements.
    • We could start this for OuiShare by staging their applications and testing them thoroughly. Also Mail Services could be an entry point.
  • VM for Ecobasa @ArneBo
  • VM for hackers4peace @elfpavlik

Open Questions

• Future of Waste @unteem
    • Answer pending
  • GEN @elfpavlik
    • Their needs don’t seem to be outscaling the Ecobytes infrastructure. Therefore I propose we approach them again and explain our community idea again.
    • Especially in terms of drupal, connecting the efforts of Edgeryders, Ecobytes, GEN and somehow also OuiShare Labs appears reasonable to me.

Can we expect the Transition Network (also drupal?) and Elevate to be out of the discussion @gualter @elfpavlik?

If everybody agrees and applies for membership, we can start migrating your services from next week on.

Bigger organizations like OuiShare and GEN are encouraged to add a donation to their membership.

Ecobytes will make sure its machines are not overloaded and provides an additional Physical Machine if neccessary.

We’re further reaching out to other non-commercial hosting providers like IN-BERLIN or IndieHosters, to align services and share experience.

Yes, that’s correct, a VM for a Sharetribe instance. @almereyda

@auli @ArneBo @bezdomny @a_corbi could you please all register via https://co-munity.net/ecobytes/membership-form

as @gualter requested

Did already last thursday or friday.

1 „Gefällt mir“

@gualter Can we get an update about how many replies we already received?

Hya everyone, listen up!

Your favourite self-organized Hosting provider just got its mind together and concluded the following:

• @gualter agreed on provisioning an IPv4 Subnet for our current setup today, which can always be extended when needed.
  • @aporia, @bezdomny, @auli and @ArneBo, please fill out the membership form (as stated multiple times above) on https://co-munity.net/ecobytes/membership-form to gain access to the Ecobytes infrastructure.
  • @elfpavlik Do we have any replies or further signs of interest from GEN world, yet?
    Maybe this can be thought together in the broader drupal context with Edgeryders, Open Local, Transition Network, co-munity and all the others (Did I miss some?). I may ask freistilbox for some initial advice.
  • @a_corbi We’re very glad to welcome you as the first official new community member of this batch! Keep up the sincere work.

@almereyda let’s start with whoever already confirmed and then move on to clarifying all the other possible participations! I requested from ER finalizing membership agreements and transferring appropriate fees

I still try to find common time with @unteem to see if Future of Waste needs a virtual machine!

Filled it

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

1 „Gefällt mir“

Let’s add to the list of shared instances providing common services Open Bank Project

This way Ecobytes can make finances fully transparent very soon. Also I know that @ArneBo wanted to use it for Ecobasa and some other projects! OuiShare will need it as well, I believe other non-profit projects will follow :smiley:

@almereyda @elfpavlik appologies for delay, was offline for a while during transmediale. back now!

Dear partners,

in confirmation of your successful applications for Ecobytes membership, I have to know now which kind of Virtual Machine you expect.

Please specify if you have special requirements : if not specified as below

• Number of cores : 2 (HTT)
  • RAM : 1 GB
  • Disk space : 20 GB
  • Operating System : Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS

As we have direct access to the virtualization stack, we can offer any kind of operating system that runs on KVM / libvirt. If you are around Berlin, we can also meet for setting things up @ArneBo.

@aporia @bezdomny @ArneBo @auli Thanks for filling out the form.

I moved 2 posts to a new topic: Open Source Circular Economy Days