OuiShare

Sorry, I didn’t have time :confused:

The future

About rancher.io or it’s alternatives. I still don’t know what to say… The alternatives are listed here. And every weeks, there is a new one. To complete the list, I think clouder is an interesting alternative also.

The issue with these things, is that they all have some kind of limitations. And basically they are built for modern services, like node or mongo, but not for old services like postfix or wordpress. And also, they are a bit reinventig the wheel like load-balancing or DNS which introduce limitations. That’s why I started IndiePaaS, to be free! And also to learn while doing things :smile: I have to admit, I really enjoy the learning part!

For now, it is mostly administered though bash scripts. There are some automation made with etcd, like config for HAproxy. I would say that it takes me around 20min to setup a new web app for a user.

IndieHosters way

As I see it, and as discussed with @michielbdejong, for now we have a different infra. We are now focusing on merging our web app to have the same list, and work together on maintaning those. See this discussion.

The next pass would be to choose an orchestration framework. If we can’t find one that fits our need, then we’ll take either IndiePaaS or snickers. (Personally, there are some issues that scare me a bit)

And then we would interface an ERP like odoo to the choosen orchestration framwork. At this time, any body, even non tech would be able to administer a hosting service provider by using this ERP.

As you can see, we, at IndieHosters, are also on this direction.

Then, the pragmatic part - collab between OuiShare - IndieHosters - Ecobytes

I think packaging application together is a great win! Maybe goclouder will reuse our work, would be amazing!

If you want I can help you setup IndiePaaS. On the readme there is instruction to start a test server. It is not really different from setting up a prod server. I know it is not perfect, and there is probably a lack of some stuff, but should be good enough to start. You can come at the IndieHosters IRC channel, and we could do a live “installing” session / improving documentation. (I’m a bit running out of time for June…)

If you prefer, I could setup an instance IndiePaaS on this server. And provide instructions on how to run the discourse instance.

As I see it, if I do it, it will be quick, but nobody will learn anything. If you (@auli or @almereyda) do it, it will be slower, but it will be a great way to learn together and improve the doc. I can be here, and respond to any question at any moment (Though GitHub, IRC or email)!

Please let me know!

Best!

Pierre